Saturday, December 27, 2008

Me & Mr. Darcy

While packing like a mad woman on Tuesday morning, I grabbed this book that was sitting in my "read these books someday" pile. I figured I would be at Grandma's house for two days, and it never hurt anyone to be prepared. Turns out I couldn't sleep for anything on Tuesday night, so I started reading this book, 'Me & Mr. Darcy". My mom picked it up at a bookstore a few months ago, and I figured if all else fails, it has a cute cover and can sit on my vanity!
I was surprised by how quickly I was drawn into the book. I couldn't put it down! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is best fictional book that was ever written. As you know I am a big fan of the Twilight books, and this doesn't come close! But it was worth reading.

After a string of disastrous dates, Emily Albright decides she’s had it with modern-day love and would much rather curl up with Pride and Prejudice and spend her time with Mr. Darcy, the dashing, honorable, and passionate hero of Jane Austen’s classic. So when her best friend suggests a wild week of margaritas and men in Mexico with the girls, Emily abruptly flees to England on a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. Far from inspiring romance, the company aboard the bus consists of a gaggle of little old ladies and one single man, Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist writing an article on why the fictional Mr. Darcy has earned the title of Man Most Women Would Love to Date.
The last thing Emily expects to find on her excursion is a broodingly handsome man striding across a field, his damp shirt clinging to his chest. But that’s exactly what happens when she comes face-to-face with none other than Mr. Darcy himself. Suddenly, every woman’s fantasy becomes one woman’s reality. . . .

I think the reason I liked this book so much was because, in the end, she realizes that Mr. Darcy is not all that she thought he would be. He is stiff, and quiet, and awkward. Nothing like she thought, or maybe exactly what she thought...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right Megan I am going to give you one of the hardest questions of your life....ready??

If you could marry one of the two would you marry Mr. Darcy? Or Edward Cullen??

Love,
The "other" Megan. :D

Mostly-Megan said...

Sigh...well...
I think I would have a better chance with Edward. I think Mr. Darcy is kind of a snob, and really doesn't have very much going for him. He has money, good looks (which does count for a lot! jk!) and a sweet sister. Even though he is a good person, that doesn't make up for his being rude! But just so you don't think I've turned against Darcy, I will say that I am still set on naming my son Fitzwilliam, "Will" for short :)
Edward loves Bella with a selfless love. He loves her enough to do the right thing for her, even if that means suffering on his part.
I didn't know you read my Blog! This is so exciting!!!

Candise and Crew said...

I finally read this book at your suggestion. It is a fun "knock-off" but a bit long-winded in the middle. The message here is not to judge a book by its cover (no pun intended). Men, or women, are many layers of personality and we cannot guess what lies under their exterior. Everyone deserves the chance to not be judged until you get to know them better. :-) I've know you for quite awhile and look how much I like you now!