Thursday, January 7, 2010

500 Days of Summer

Add it to the list! This movie made the cut!
From the opening lines of the movie, I was hooked. "This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total mis-reading of the movie 'The Graduate.' This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story."
I laughed, I cried, and it was wonderful. A few more quotes like: "It's love, not Santa." and "What do you know about PMS?"-- "More than you, Tom." added to this wonderful film.
While some will say that I had an epiphany about the meaning of life and my life in general, I think that is romanticising it. While my thoughts about love do run deeper than most, I found this movie believable. We wake up, and live our lives. Most days of the year are unremarkable. They begin and they end with no lasting memories made in between. Most days have no impact on the course of our lives. But there are days that have great cosmic significance. Days that do change the course of our lives. If I've learned anything, it's that these life altering events are usually missed by our own sheer blindness. We don't see them because we aren't looking for them. Now I do understand that some days we receive huge bill-board-signs showing us the course of our lives, but usually these events happen upon us by simply not opening a college letter for a few (or three) weeks.
When I'm undecided about my mood, I usually put my iPod on shuffle. Not because I think it does an exceptional job of making playlists, but because it finds the first song for a list I will later make myself. At any rate, I came across the song 'This Is Your Life' by Switchfoot. I don't mean to go all 'A Walk To Remember' on you, but I was feeling rather emotional. It astounds me how some days I look in the mirror and have no idea who I am. It's like when I was a little kid and my parents told me to "be myself." I remember thinking, "Well, who else could I possibly be?!" The truth is that the pressure is everywhere. It creeps in on us when we forget to expect it. Then suddenly, we realize that the life we've been leading isn't anything that we want.
With the decisions of college coming up in my life, I'm shocked at the options I'm faced with! Some times I look at a college and my future becomes a white void (someone please explain this to me...). It's a scary thought that this single decision will alter the entire course of my life.
I'm sorry if this post holds only questions, and not many answers. Honestly it's the state my life is in right now.
I leave now to go back to an ice rink, and to continue living my life as the person I want to be.

1 comment:

Candise and Crew said...

You said the old cliche: "We don't see them because we aren't looking for them." I trust you will remember the first rule in my homeschol is to PAY ATTENTION!