Monday, June 3, 2013

What's So Great About Gatsby Anyway?



"Indeed, what is?  Is it his enormous wealth, making him the epitome of early 20th century New Money, becoming the rival and envy of the entrenched Old Money almost over night?  Is it the lavish parties he holds regularly every night?  How about the mystery about who he is, and the many tales that revolve around him?  The immense love he has for Daisy Buchanan? Or is it his vision, his imagination, put to work to win Daisy, the workings of a great soul?"

You can read the rest of the post written by my friend Collin here.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, perhaps even more than I thought I would. Spencer and I snuck over to the little theater close by after work last week. It was nice to have a reason to get dressed up after a long day at work. Of course I had reasonable expectations after reading all the scathing reviews done by Rotten Tomotoes and IMDB, but in the end I think our culture was expecting something different. They wanted a love story with a party scene, not a tragic ending. I cried and Spencer rolled his eyes.  While it's not everyone's cup of tea, I heartily recommend it.
 

No comments: